Thursday, August 25, 2011

Zwanzig in Vier (Twenty in Four)

I just sent my cousin an email detailing what I've been up to the past few days, and think this will be a sufficient summary for my next post  :)

In the last 4 days in Germany I have:

1. Spent a couple hours in Iceland. Looks nice.
2. Tried Sauerbratten--REALLY good.
3. Stayed in a medieval town that was essentially dead for 250 years before "reopening," so it honestly look slike you're stepping back in time (the town is Rothenburg, look it up!)
4. Gone over 100 mph (more than 160 km/h) on the autobahn!
5. Visited the Dachau Concentration Camp (if you can ever make it to this or anyother concentration camp, do. It is extremely depressing, but--this is an understatement--mind-blowing and an incredible insight into history).
6. Gotten lost in random German towns (twice), but saw some beautiful places!!
7.  Indulged in some sort of German chocolate-filled pastry...  soooooo good!
8. Been stuck behind a manure truck on a country road with zero passing opportunities (quite an experience!)
9. Visited THREE castles! (Hohenshwangau, Neuschwanstein, and Linderhof. All belonged to Mad King Ludwig II...incredible places!)
10. Driven through the Alps, part of the way next to a breathtaking lake that was crystal clear and greenish-blue.
11. Been stuck in a creepy old guesthaus up in the mountains (with no receptionist or anything...you get your key by punching a code into a machine) during a thunderstorm.  Cool experience.
12. Witnessed my mom getting bitten by a swan. Twice. I have not laughed that hard in quite awhile!
13. Drank a glass of cream. Literally. Turns out "milk" and "cream" are synonymous in Germany... It was disgusting, but the waiter (who gave me a funny look for getting milk...now I know why!) went out of his way and kept teasing us, so I felt obligated. Poor excuse, I know!
14. Filled up 2 memory cards with photos.  Yet still figured out how not to look like a tourist the rest of the time...
15. Been stung by a bee.
16. Completely broken in my shoes (score!).
17. Learned to appreciate air conditioning. And overhead showers (not too many to be found over here...).
18. Slept with a towel as a blanket.
19. Become one with my camera.
20. Fallen in LOVE with another country!

No comments:

Post a Comment